Friday, September 24, 2010

Stumbling through cyberspace, one click at a time.

Recently, I discovered StumbleUpon. OK, that's not entirely true. I was introduced to StumbleUpon some months ago by accident, borrowing a computer to quickly check my email and getting sidetracked by the task bar urging me to Stumble!. Anything which uses exclamation points is going to catch my attention, I'm just like that. So I clicked a couple of times and if I'm honest, wasn't hugely enamoured with any of the pages it threw up. But I was bored, as with most of my greatest discoveries, so I decided I would venture towards StumbleUpon with my own laptop. Once I'd realised you could select your own areas of interest it made sense as to why nothing on the borrowed computer had caught my attention; frankly video games and anomalies in the laws of physics aren't my cup of tea. But with my own settings; fashion, art, cult movies, photography, women's rights, history, equestrianism, rugby, heavy metal and crafting to name a few, suddenly StumbleUpon came alive to me. Granted, for every delight of a page it suggests there are just as many that receive nothing more than a confused expression before I merrily clicked on my way again. I've discovered new blogs, new online stores, new music, new games, new ideas to occupy my three-year-old... I shall sign off with an idea stolen from just one such website, found at NoGoodForMe.com, a brief snapshot of my existence right now - Listening, Reading, Watching, Wearing, Wanting - which I intend to finish every posting with.
Listening - Nothing at this moment, but thanks to the wonder of Pandora radio, I've been listening to a lot of folk metal and ska punk.
Reading - The London Hanged - Crime and Civil Society in the Eighteenth Century by Peter Linebaugh. Criminology + social history = happy me.
Watching - I've recently been obsessing over Criminal Minds. I can't help it!
Wearing - Skinny jeans from Primark (so shoot me), silver sparkly Chucks with pink laces, and my awesome Dungeon shirt from camp this summer.
Wanting - Not wanting, but needing my immigration stuff to be sorted. It's such a nightmare, all I want is to be able to live and work in the same country as my family...

No comments:

Post a Comment